Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Camera Malfunctions, Tone-Deaf Elders, and Last Lessons


Hola Familia y Amigos!!!
Nothing really new has transpired here in the last week--Just working harder and harder every day to learn and study and teach to the best of my ability! Well, last wednesday (just a couple hours after sending out my email) my companion Hermana Williams and I went to sing "Savior, Redeemer of my Soul" for the new-coming missionaries! (which was extra fun because we had a new district coming into our zone that day :) and it went well for the most part... except our accompanist didn't have his Suitcoat because it was being dry-cleaned so he had to wear some-one else's which was like, 3 or 4 sizes to big... and Hermana Williams had a slight wardrobe malfunction and forgot her name plaque, but besides that it went really well... except the camera man decided to do some weird shots of us singing, I just remember seeing my face REALLY close up out of the corner of my eye on the monitor, like.... really close, you couldn't even see all of my face it was so close... but besides that, we had a great time welcoming in those new servants of the Lord and we hoped they could feel strength through our words and music :)

So this last Sunday was the final Sunday in our branch, because this weekend is General Conference, so we followed the tradition and sang a goodbye song during Sacrament Meeting as a discrict. We sang "Onward, Christian Soldiers" and it was so fun, I got to start it out with a little a capella solo and then Hermana Williams joined in the 3rd line with the Alto and then all the Hermanas finished the verse off  together (this is in Spanish by the way). and then we gave the elders the entire second verse, and I don't quite know how it happened, but all the tone-deaf elders in our Branch ended up in our district, but it was so great that they were willing to sing out anyways (it only took a little arm twisting) :) they did so well, then we sang the 3rd verse all together and the 4th verse in English. It was a really neet experience, I'm really glad we got to do it as a district, I'm going to miss them a lot.

The rest of my district got their travel plans this week, all to different places (Alaska, Uruguay, Reno, San Diego, Dominican Republic, Salt Lake) and I still don't know the plans for me, I expect that sometime this week they will let me know who my new tour-training companion will be and what I need to do once my companions leave next Tuesday!

Yesterday we taught our progressive Investigator, Camila, for the last time, and even though she's just our teacher putting on the persona of one of her converts from Chile, I am honestly going to miss her so much, I wanted the best for her and her future and sincerely prayed for her mom to let her get baptized! It really taught me a lot about  why I'm on a mission and how much love and going to have for the people. We have our last lesson with our other Progressive Investigator, Pedro, and I know he's going to "get baptized" ...figuratively... I have learned so much from teaching him, he's had a really hard life--losing his son to drive-by shooting and is wife to alcoholism, we taught him about our Heavenly Father's plan for all of his children and it brought so much comfort to him to know that his son is alright at the he can be with him again if he presses on with faith! I have loved the teaching experiences here and I am just so excited for the field!


We didn't get to watch the Relief Society session on Saturday, but don't worry, we'll watch it this saturday night while the Elders are watching Priesthood Session. I'm so excited and blessed to be able to watch General Conference here at the MTC! Please Remember that we get to hear from inspired leaders of the church and the true and living Prophet this weekend. He knows what the world needs today and will give us direction from God. Listen to his words with a prayer in your heart! your prayers will be heard and answered! I love you all and wish you the best best best in your week!!!

Con todo me amor,
Hermana Mitchell

P.S. here's one of my new favorite quotes from President Deiter F. Uchtdorf:
"When our wagon gets stuch in the mud, God is much more likely to assist the man who gets out to push than the man who merely raises his voice in prayer, no matter how eloquent the oration."

P.P.S. Mom this is for you: I love my shoulder bag, but I'm going to need a bigger side-bag with a accross the body strap... so if you want to find one for me and send it, or maybe make sure I have enough in my account, that would be great!!! OH and I didn't know this before, but I get to call you and dad from the airport before I fly out to California, so I'll be buying a calling card soon, let me know when you'll be available for me to call you, it'll probably be pretty early here in utah, so yeah, we'll work it out :) I'm excited! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment